Youth In Policing Initiative (YIPI) After School Program
The Ministry of Children and Youth Services announced that the Ontario Government would be funding various youth opportunity initiatives, as part of the government's new strategy to address the growing needs of our youth. Part of that strategy, was and is a partnership with the police services to hire youths for After School employment. This would consist of 2 days a week, for 3 hours each day, from January 5, 2015 to June 26, 2015.
The Youth in Policing Initiative After School program is a partnership between these agencies to create a meaningful work experience for youth. This After School employment initiative focuses on hiring 2 youths between the ages of 15 -18 years old, from within the City of Belleville.
The aim of the Youth in Policing Initiative After School program is to promote youth participation in and exposure to the work environment through diverse, educational, and productive work assignments.
This program also enhances the link between the police and the neighbourhoods we serve. This initiative gives young people an opportunity to develop job skills while fostering positive community partnerships.
The mandate of the Youth in Policing Initiative After School program is:
- to promote youth participation in and exposure to the work environment through diverse, educational and productive work assignments.
- to enhance the link between the police and the neighbourhoods we serve by selecting youth reflecting our diverse city.
- to provide a safe and positive employment opportunity during the school year for after school employment for youth.
- to promote the Belleville Police Service as an employer of choice.
The goal of the Youth in Policing Initiative After School program is to give young people an opportunity to develop job skills while enhancing police and community relations.
The selection of the youths is based on the following criteria:
- Be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Between 15 and 18 years of age
- Are currently enrolled in school
- Resident of the City of Belleville
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Must not have been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted, and must not have any charges pending before the courts.
The 2015 Youth In Policing Initiative After School application is included within this link.