Belleville Police Service
Partners With The Community

Emergency: [9-1-1]  Non Emergency: 613 966-0882  Hearing Impaired: 613 966-3788

Lost or Stolen Wallet
If you have lost your wallet, make sure that you cancel and replace all of your important cards.
It is a good idea to photocopy all your personal documentation and keep them in a safe place. Having photocopies available will help in the replacement process should you lose any of your identification in the future.

1. Contact Your Bank(s) or Financial Institution(s)
Contact your bank(s) or financial institution(s) and report your missing bank and/or credit cards.

2. Contact Your Local Police
Report that your wallet has been lost, in case it is turned in. Do not dial the emergency number please call the non emergency number at 613 966-0882 or report this on line at (Make sure you list all your documents contained within your wallet with all identifying numbers)

3. Cancel Other Credit Cards
If you have lost a retail credit card or any other credit card, immediately notify the Customer Service or Credit Department of that retail company.

4. Replace Your Driver's Licence
In many cases, a replacement driver's licence may be issued on the spot. To replace a driver's licence, you will be required to provide proof of identification showing your legal name, date of birth and signature, and pay a $10 fee. You will receive a temporary licence to use until your permanent one is mailed to you.

5. Replace Your Birth Certificate
Identification is required to pick up your new birth certificate. A driver's licence is an acceptable form of identification

6. Replace Your Health Card
Two or more pieces of personal identification may be required to apply for your replacement health insurance card. A driver's licence and birth certificate are acceptable in most provinces and territories.

7. Replace Your Passport
As soon as you think your passport has been lost or stolen, you are required to report the circumstances of the loss or theft to the local police and to Passport Canada.

The request for a replacement passport can be made in Canada at any service location. However, before the document can be replaced, Canadian authorities will conduct an investigation into the circumstances of the lost or stolen passport. This investigation may lead to delays in processing the replacement passport.
A replacement passport (which may be valid for a limited period only) may be authorized, provided strict requirements are met. These include the submission of:


?    a completed application form,
?    two identical current passport photos,
?    the appropriate fee,
?    documentary proof of Canadian citizenship,

8. Replace Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card
If your Social Insurance Number card is lost or stolen, you need to report it to the appropriate authorities to avoid identity theft.

To apply for a replacement Social Insurance Card, you must complete an application form, which is available online at  For faster and more convenient service, we encourage you to apply in person as it does not require you to part with your valuable identity documents. However, you may also apply by mail.

What should I do if my SIN card has been lost or stolen?

If your Social Insurance Number (SIN) card has been lost or stolen, it is important to be aware that someone could try to use your Social Insurance Number.

We recommend that you follow these steps to protect your SIN:



?    Carefully review your bank account, credit card and other financial transaction statements. If anything concerns you, contact your financial institution.
?    Monitor your mail for any disruption in delivery.
?    Call Canada?s two national credit bureaus. Ask for a free copy of your credit report and review it for any suspicious activity. You may also wish to see if your credit file should be flagged to indicate that your personal information has been put at risk and may be vulnerable to fraud.
?    Report the theft of your SIN card to the police, if you suspect your SIN card is used fraudulently. Ask for the incident number, the officer?s name and contact number.